120: Hashimoto’s Disease
Hashimoto's Disease Is The Root Cause Of Hypothyroidism
Hashimoto's Disease is the number one cause of an underactive thyroid. According to Dr. Izabella Wentz, it accounts for 90%- 97% of cases of hypothyroidism.
Hashimoto's Disease is known as an autoimmune condition in which the body's immune system is attacking the thyroid. As a result, inflammation from Hashimoto's disease leads to hypothyroidism. Hence, treatment of Hashimoto's disease with thyroid hormone replacement is simple and effective.
First of all, a diagnosis doesn't actually uncover the root cause. Holistic medicine rather points you in the direction where you could begin to learn. Consequently, the term second opinion should really be just getting opinions so you finally get some traction.
Dr. Wentz narrates, “I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's during a routine physical at age 27. I was trained about the pathophysiology of diseases, as well therapeutic treatments. Our professors always stressed lifestyle interventions.”
“Thus, I was confused, as there were no mainstream lifestyle interventions for Hashimoto's or any autoimmune conditions.,” says Dr. Wentz. “It seemed unnatural to me to do nothing as a part of my body was being destroyed.”
Therefore, this is why I love Naturopaths. Yet with a medical doctor, you can't spend the detailed time with them. It's just the way the system is set up. Whereas with Naturopaths, they really spend time with you and get to the root cause.
Symptoms of Hashimoto's Disease
Mayo Clinic, a non-profit health organization, lists the following symptoms:
- Fatigue and sluggishness
- Increased sensitivity to cold
- Pale, dry skin
- A puffy face
- Brittle nails
- Hair loss
- Enlargement of the tongue
- Unexplained weight gain
- Muscle aches, tenderness, and stiffness
- Joint pain and stiffness
- Muscle weakness
- Excessive or prolonged menstrual bleeding (menorrhagia)
- Memory lapses
According to Mayo Clinic, these are some health problems of untreated hypothyroidism:
- Goiter – Constant stimulation of the thyroid cause the gland to become enlarged. As a result, a large goiter affects appearance. Furthermore, it interferes with swallowing or breathing.
- Heart problems – Increased risk of heart disease is associated with Hashimoto's disease. Hence, high levels of “bad” cholesterol result in an enlarged heart and heart failure.
- Mental health issues – Depression, as a result, becomes more severe over time. Furthermore, sexual libido in both men and women decreases.
- Myxedema – Especially relevant signs and symptoms include drowsiness. In addition to that, profound lethargy and unconsciousness are evident.
- Birth defects – Consequently, babies born to women with untreated hypothyroidism have a higher risk of birth defects. These children, as a result, deal intellectual and developmental problems.
Thyroid Health Root Cause and Healing Protocol
Through my own health journey, I learned about the negative effects of gluten. Gluten causes leaky gut. As a result, leaky gut stimulates the immune system to create an autoimmune response. Yet not everyone will have this condition. Consequently, everything has to be aligned to create that.
In a survey Dr. Wentz conducted, 88% of people who attempted to go gluten-free consequently felt better. In addition to that, 79% felt better due to a dairy-free diet. Soy, on the other hand, is linked to the development of autoimmune thyroiditis.
Hence, it is not surprising to find out Dr. Wentz also went gluten-free. As a result, Dr. Wentz lists three definitive steps to jumpstart the road to recovery:
1. Reduce Stress levels – Autoimmune conditions are linked to stress. Be kind to yourself. Allow yourself to relax and get plenty of rest. Furthermore, when we are in rest and digest mode, it promotes healing.
2. Reduce stress levels – Autoimmune conditions are linked to stress. Be kind to yourself. Allow yourself to relax and get plenty of rest. Furthermore, when we are in rest and digest mode, it promotes healing.
3. Balance blood sugar – First of all, avoid carbohydrates. Eat a lot of healthy fats, protein, and vegetables instead. Sugar swings result in the weakening of adrenals and cause a spike in thyroid antibodies.
4. Go gluten, dairy and soy free – Consequently removing them from your diet help reduce symptoms and the autoimmune attack.
Other Ways of Intervention
“First of all, when you're not properly digesting your food, you're going to be more tired. Because your body's main function is to digest food. That's when I started taking digestive enzymes,” reveals Dr. Wentz.
Hence, she suggests the following to help address Hashimoto's Disease:
- Selenium supplement; 200 mcg per day
- Betaine with pepsin supplement
- Adding NAC 1800 mg enzymes with food
- Adding Wobenzym with food
- Supporting the adrenals and liver by incorporating healing foods
In addition to that, Dr. Wentz recommends removing toxic products from home. Most noteworthy is identifying Flouride as a big thyroid toxin, found in our water supply and toothpaste. Furthermore, Dr. Wentz suggests using glass containers or mason jars since plastics are harmful.
In conclusion, Dr. Wentz is committed to raising awareness. The Thyroid Secret Documentary Series and Hashimoto’s Institute Practitioner Training is offered to patients and healthcare professionals. Furthermore, Dr. Wentz offers international consulting and speaking services.
“We have to be the change we want to happen,” says Dr. Wentz. “I want to change how thyroid disorders are treated. Furthermore, I believe every thyroid patient should have access to proper diagnosis. Appropriate medication management and education about lifestyle interventions is also necessary.”
Izabella Wentz, PharmD, FASCP is an internationally acclaimed thyroid specialist and licensed pharmacist. She dedicated her career to addressing the root causes of autoimmune thyroid disease. This after being diagnosed with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis in 2009.
Her book, Hashimoto’s The Root Cause is a New York Times bestselling patient guide. Furthermore, her recently released Hashimoto’s Protocol is #1 NY Times bestselling protocol-based book as well.
Get Connected With Dr. Izabella Wentz!
Books by Dr. Izabella Wentz!
Health Coach, Podcast Creator, Homeschooling Mom, Passionate About God & Healing
Ashley James is a Holistic Health Coach, Podcaster, Rapid Anxiety Cessation Expert, and avid Whole Food Plant-Based Home Chef. Since 2005 Ashley has worked with clients to transform their lives as a Master Practitioner and Trainer of Neuro-linguistic Programming.
Her health struggles led her to study under the world’s top holistic doctors, where she reversed her type 2 diabetes, PCOS, infertility, chronic infections, and debilitating adrenal fatigue.
In 2016, Ashley launched her podcast Learn True Health with Ashley James to spread the TRUTH about health and healing. You no longer need to suffer; your body CAN and WILL heal itself when we give it what it needs and stop what is harming it!
The Learn True Health Podcast has been celebrated as one of the top holistic health shows today because of Ashley’s passion for extracting the right information from leading experts and doctors of holistic health and Naturopathic medicine
Follow LTH on Social Media
Join The LTH Supportive Community!
Ashley's Top 10 Favorite Episodes
To order the Mushroom Tincture that Ashley James recommends, visit https://www.learntruehealth.com/mushrooms For thousands of years, people have been consuming mushrooms as food and natural remedies.
If you’re looking to detox your body, try incorporating ozonated water into your daily intake. In this episode, Eileen Durfee discusses a host of benefits
Ashley James And Dr. Mark Sherwood Highlights: Diseases and the two major causes of death in the United States Allopathic versus naturopathic/holistic medicine Sleep dysregulation
Ashley James And Dr. Wendie Trubow Highlights: The importance of detoxing The impact of stress on body functions Mycotoxins Genetics is not a death